THE CHANGE HAS COME
- By: Arun Banerjee (AB), Chairman and Managing Director
BoB-PRIMAAN International School (BPIS)
An endeavour by Umabel Educational Foundation (UEF).
8.'Yes, change has come': (Medical Insurance for every child)
- Children and play are complement to each other, hence things happen and
they get hurt. When it happens, it is not the matter that how they got
it but how to get them treated as soon as possible.
- In an accident, or a medical emergency, the most important factor is,
how faster an affected child can be administered treatment, and
it is crucial.
- In present system when ever a child gets hurt, the school calls up the
parents/ guardians and hand over the child to him / her.
By handing over the child to the parents the school shoulders off
- To me, No. this is not a correct practice.
The school is the best place to get collective support for such incident.
They are educated community of the society;
school has number of vehicles at their disposal to move the child faster
for medical care. The reason they do so is, they do not have the power of
handling the money and authorization from the management to handle the
situation hence the system calls the parents in.
- Each child is dearest to his/her parents’/guardians’ heart.
Parents get totally disarrayed due to the unforeseen happenings.
Has any body considered from where he/she is going to come to school,
how much time it would take, from where he/she is going to manage the
fund to support the treatment, what about the job he/ she is handling
in his/ her capacity.
- In some cases there might be only one parent available in the city
where the school functions. There might be some parent who have just
shifted to the locality for the schooling of their child, he/she might
be new to the local community lay outs for the emergency, might not be
known to any good hospital.
- Above all, though at the end, they are the party to foot the medical
bill but they might need some time to get adjusted to the cruel reality,
that has just happen to their life. Even though he/ she manage everything,
still it would take longer process for an individual to handle an
unfortunate eventuality then a collective effort by a school authority.
- It has happened with me, with my child; hence I have decided to have
the system corrected by myself. I have insured each child in my school for
a sum of rupees Fifty thousand (Rs.50,000/-),
from the time a child leaves the door of his/her house for the school and
returns back to the door of his /her house.
- The management takes care of the child right up to the hospitalization
and arranging all the treatment related help to a needy aggrieved family
through the administration with the back up of medical insurance.
- It is well known to our society that a insurance company does not
wish to do any cover for the little kid bellow 5(five) years, leave aside
I am the third party not the parent/guardians, but my endeavour and
persuasion has paid the sweat and good wish has prevailed. I have got the
case regularized with the Insurance Company and got each child covered for
the assured sum annually.
- By doing so I made sure that each child is looked after in an
eventuality and a concerned parent is help to certain extent.
9.'Yes', change has come': (Play with a free mind)
- If we do not give a child time to play, from where the sports man will
emerge?!! Thus a country of 1.2 billion but has sportspersons that
could be counted on the fingers. I blame the education system for that.
- By sending the home work from the class room, back to home, it is
killing the inspiration of a child to move out of the home and take up
- By the time a child reaches back home, the child is already
loaded with the prolonged classroom tutorial and practice,
the child somehow drags himself/herself to the home, where he/she is
asked again to finish the home work and self study. Only then a
competitive parent allows the child to go out to play. By the time the
child could finish the study load, the evening descends and the
child misses the game.
- This monotonous activity kills the child’s inspiration and hence the
child only enjoys virtual sports that are on the television / computer
- As in my school there is no home work of any kind to a child to
carry back home , my system allows a child to be set free from the bondage
of carry back home study. Hence both the parents and the child is happy
and he/ she can start playing from the word go from the school when the
- My system also encourages child to come back to school happily instead
of feared or scared, as the general perception is in the society due
the assigned home works.
10.'Yes, change has come': (No more frustration and a despair)
- Let me take you the road, as we all know and have surely traveled in
every school season. It is a night mare for the parents/ Guardians to
manage the study materials and schooling gears
(Viz. Text books, Exercise notebooks, supportive accessories, school
uniforms, dress materials, shoes, socks etc.) from the market place or the
vendors as directed by the school administrations.
- We all know and in deed you all will agree with me that, on that very
time it is really a pain to manage both ends meet i.e. managing the work
place demand and the market search for the required schooling materials.
- Most of the cases it is nothing but frustration and a despair in the
mind of the parents /guardians, pondering a way out to every year’s mess
in the name of schooling by the present system.
- In my school it is totally done with by the school administration.
The school manages all the need full items for a child to handle the
- As all the things from A-Z for a child is looked after and managed by
my school’s administration, it let’s the parents/guardians have a piece of
mind and feels free from the bonded duty to run from pillar to post for
the various schooling needs.
11.'Yes, change has come': (Proper care while eating food)
- When you buy a food box (short break & Lunch), most of the
time parents do buy better quality latest product available then in the
market, to show case their status and strength of money power.
- Alas! Does the parent know that, the little child would not be able to
open it on time and secure it before the school bell rings to go back to
class? For a little child, opening a box is a night mare, given the type
of the box the parents buys.
- There is no one to make sure that, the dearest child’s hand is washed
properly or the location where he/she is going to eat is clean. So the
matter rolls down like this, the very child whose betterment and well wish
is foremost in the mind of a parent is neglected in the school.
- Does the parent know that, the child in his/her heart is crying for not
being able to open the box that his/her parents has enthusiastically
- Above all when he/she opens the box, there are number of chances that
the child gets an opportunity to compare his/ her food with other children
around him/her. That’s makes the child more disturbed. The child learns
about the society, where his / her parents may or may not stand in strength
of money power. It is not a healthy way to grow.
- Most of the times child brings back the food box uneaten or throws away
the food before entering back home due to scare of parent’s anger.
- I would not be wrong to say that, it is in the child hood days of the
child that most of the children fall sick and parents visit doctors very
- I have personally witnessed these happenings in my home, in the life of
my children and hence decided to do away with the food box system. I have
opened up mandatory catering system in the school. Here all the children
eat in the community dining hall, under the careful guidance and
observations of each individual class teachers & catering staff.
- In my school community dining hall, at one sittings there are 160
children, in one go, sit and eat and there are at least 10 (Ten) staff
- Those staff makes sure that the child washes their hands well and
learns how to eat by themselves. They are taught to eat in a group with
out any kind of deferential treatment.
- While the child gets cleaned properly, eats what ever quantity he/she
wishes and most importantly on time and at regular time table makes them
healthy and happy. Undeniably though chances are there but they usually do
not fall sick very often comparing to their counter part in the regular
- To maintain the standard of food the child eats, and behavior of the
staff while handling the children in the community dining hall, I made
it sure,no one of my staff brings his/her food in the school. Instead
all eats the same food in the same hall with the children at the same time.
To keep my system on line, I have ordered special food to be made in the
school kitchen for the staff member who is under medical advice.
- By providing the food for the staff I have cut down the gossiping time
during the lunch break of the staff and deliberation about various recipes
and cooking method. You will agree most of the time teachers only get up
from the food table in group, while the bell for the break time is over;
they take more time to enter the class room after the break period.
- Dining at the community dining hall cuts down all the time and
increase the functioning of the staff members.
- There is also no rush-rush, hurry-hurry, run-run situation at the home
front of each of my staff as their food is taken care off here in the
- To maintain the quality, quantity and the variety in the menu, I have
not hired any third party to give the service in the community kitchen,
instead employed the kitchen staff by self.
- By doing so, I have eliminated the possibilities of greasing the palm
of the authority in the administration and a chance of holding the
management in a point of call 'a no where to go negotiations situation'.
- As it is an in-house management for the betterment of all, hence staff
decides the menu for each day. The menu is cyclic in nature and is changed
every 6 (six) months.
- Would not be an exaggeration to add here that, even the Board member of
the management and the visiting guest eats the same food in the same hall.